top button
    Largest RTI Q/A Community in India

I want some information from the Central Public Works Department (CPWD). Can I file RTI ?

0 votes
posted Mar 9, 2019 by Sangeeta Gope

1 Answer

0 votes

Yes, you can file RTI to Central Public Works Department (CPWD). The Central Public Works Department of Indiacommonly referred to as the CPWD, is a premier Central Government authority in charge of public sector works. The Central Public Works Department, under the Ministry of Urban Development now MoHUA (Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs), deals with buildings, roads, bridges, flyovers, complicated structures like stadiums, auditoriums, laboratories, bunkers, border fencing, border roads (hill roads), etc. CPWD came into existence in July 1854 when Lord Dalhousie established a central agency for execution of public works and set up Ajmer Provincial Division. It has now grown into a comprehensive construction management department, which provides services from project concept to completion, and maintenance management.

Since it is a premier Central Government authority. Therefore, it comes under the ambit of section 2(h) of the RTI Act'2005 which has the definition of Public Authority. Hence, we can file RTI to Central Public Works Department (CPWD).

For further assistance and to have a better understanding on filing RTI, you may visit the below mentioned link:

answer Mar 21, 2019 by Antra Bhattacharjee