Delivery log book- copy under RTI?

• I had booked a Speed Post letter on 25 March 2014 from Faridabad Sector 7 Post Office vide Speed Post booking Ref no. EH340957875IN to the Addressee : Regional Controller of Mines, Indian Bureau of Mines, 108, Nehru Nagar, Phase-II, Dehradun, 248001. The website tracking shows delivery to the addressee on 4th April 2014 at 1900 hrs. However , the addressee denies having received any such letter on the specified date and time. I want to have the xerox copy of the log book having Receivers signature, date and his mobile no. as entered into the log book in support of the claims made on the website of India Post Office. The signature of receiver is mandatory on the delivery log book and I want the xerox copy of same to take up the matter with the Addressee. The addressee denies having received this speed post letter till date while India Post website shows it as delivered. Can I get the copy of the delivery log book under RTI?

• RTI Experts

Yes.

The postal department is a public authority and the RTI Act is applicable to it.

Under section 2(f), you could obtain documents and records. You could obtain certified copies of the log book entries as the same forms part of the records maintained by the authority