Regarding GATE exam

• Sir, I am preparing for GATE 2017 in GEOLOGY. When I saw the old papers I found few numerical problems. I could not solve them, neither my teachers and seniors. I have referred concerned subjects' books (multiple) and searched in internet too, but no use. Can I file an RTI requesting the formula and solution for the problem? Will it be accepted?

• RTI Experts

Depends.

The said examination is being conducted by an authority/body which is a public authority and the RTI Act is applicable to it.

Under section 2 (f) of the RTI Act, you could obtain certified copies of the relevant documents and records. You could obtain copies of your marksheets as well as you answer sheets as per a judgment passed by the Supreme Court in the case of CBSE vs Aditya Bandhopadhyay in 2011.

However, the criteria for evaluation of answer sheets would be subject to availability and the mode in which such information is maintained by the authority, if any. As per the RTI Act, the information being maintained and available with the authority is disclosed and creation of information is not undertaken under the RTI Act.

• administrators