Status of my old passport.

• I Gokhila, a citizen of India, born in Chennai, address: No.4, Bhavani st, Devi karumari Amman Nagar,Velachery, Chennai - 42, Struggling to get my passport as it was lost during the year 1998 - 99, when I was minor.later investigated and found the passport was misused by a srilankan girl, who tried migrate to Germany with my passport. she has been detained at Chennai airport, by airport authority of india. the crime numbers and case numbers are as follows. crime no. 456/1999/airport police station(aps) cc no:52/2001 case status - closed disposal date - 17/1/2002 A2 - govindarajan d fine amount - rs.3000 cc no:53/2001 case status - open A1 - subashine regina u/s 12(1-A) and 12(1-B) of indian passport act 1967 and r/w 12(2) of indian passport act 1967 These details were realised when I tried to apply a new passport and contacted the deputy passport officer. The DPO requested to submit the older passport in Alandur court, Chennai to avail a new passport. I have filed a petition during December 2014, requesting to release my older passport as requested by the Deputy Passport Officer in Alandur Court, but have not received any response since 3 months. Request to help me know the status of my old passport in the case number above. I Gokhila, a B.E. M.S(Bits,Pilani), married having 2 kids, struggling with my career and to get passport for my kids. Kindly help me in this situation to be a proud indian citizen.

• RTI Experts

Depends.

The department/body dealing with the aspect of issuance of passport is a public authority and the RTI Act is applicable to it.

Under section 2 (f) of the RTI Act, you could obtain certified copies of the relevant documents and records relating to subject matter of your query. You could also obtain copies of communications/correspondence exchanged between departments/officials. You could use this information and avail remedial action through other modes as well (court proceedings, independent mechanism of obtaining details from the passport department.